Hope all my US friends are enjoying this 3 day holiday weekend. Here’s a look at some interesting things we read/ saw / thought / did this week.
- I finished reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. It took me a while to get into it, but the story grew on me as it progressed. It’s a weird, bleak and depressing book, but the writing is excellent, and it captures the World and characters perfectly. I also finished The Girl With All the Gifts, M.R. Carey. It’s been a while since I tore through a book in less than 2 days, but this book did it for me. 5 stars all the way! Now it’s time to start Fledgling by Octavia Butler – vampires rule!
- I printed out How to Get a Ton of Value Out of an Entry-Level Job and The Best Non-Financial Investments I’ve Made In My Creative Career So Far. I shared it with my kids and some people at my job. If only we could all have this type of work ethic.
- It’s basically summer and there are many reading guides to help you pick up something new to read. The list that has me salivating is Summer Reading: We’re Going to Need a Bigger Bag. But also check out 18 Books Everyone Will Be Talking About This Summer and Summer & Fall Preview: Books to Watch For by Authors of Color
- Want something a little different to read, try something from this list of The Best Books with Non-Human Narrators or Epic Fantasy Book Recommendations Based on Your Zodiac Sign.
- Do You Download Audiobooks? Congratulations, You’re Keeping Publishing Afloat … why thank you and you’re welcome!
- Here are 10 Tricks for Book Nerds who Want to Fit in Reading Time At Work … have a home book and a work book.
- These Apps Are the Perfect Money Saving Tools for Lazy People Like Me and me.
- I am already loving this extra long weekend and looking forward to getting a ton of reading in. I just finished Under Different Stars, Amy A. Bartol. Here’s the thing, the writing is not all that original. This is your very typical young adult fantasy/fall in love with the hot guy book. That being said, I loved it. I sped through the audio version. Currently I’m in the middle of Six of Crows, Leigh Bardugo (audio) and A Gathering of Shadows, V.E. Schwab and both are excellent.
- Modern Mrs. Darcy just posted a Minimalist Reading List and I’m thinking of adding a few of her suggestions to my list. And for even more summer read suggestions check out her Summer Reading Guide.
- Is anyone else fascinated with other people’s skincare, hair, makeup routines? I take a lot of cues from Unfancy and she just posted hers.
- We made these Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowls and now I want breakfast bowls every day! Still, slowly but surely making small but healthy changes to the way we eat.
- Speaking of food, here are some ideas for Spring Cleaning your Eating Habits.
- What Does Your Bookshelf Organizational Technique Say About You? I’ve organized my shelves alphabetically, by color, and according to what I’ve read and what I haven’t read. The only thing I hate is splitting up series. That gets tricky when you’ve only read half of the series or the covers have different colors. I’d say I mostly fall within the Author Organizer category although I read mostly fantasy, mystery, and sci fi. Which are you?
- If you’re in to yoga, I’m going to suggest you head on over to Yoga With Adriene. She has the greatest videos for all different abilities or needs. She’s got a great personality (sometimes I bit chatty on the videos) and I love what I’ve learned from her so far. If you don’t think yoga is your thing, I still suggest you use it occasionally for relaxation, increasing mobility, working out the kinks, and mindfulness.
- I finally saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens last weekend. So glad I did because our DVD player died not long after and it’ll probably be awhile before we replace it. We don’t watch that much TV anyway. But I loved the movie and I’m sure I’m not the only one who saw Chewbacca mom and laughed so hard I snorted.
- How Do You Measure Your Life? I loved this.
What are you currently reading?
(Visited 99 times, 1 visits today)