What’s on repeat on your summer music playlist this year?
Tanya … There are songs on my summer playlist because they are fun, easy and remind me of happy times. But I’m not starting with those. “Why Did You Separate Me from the Earth?” by Anohni makes me want to me want to ball my eyeballs out! It reminds me of all the recent tragedies that have happened this year – #TerrorAttacks #BlackLivesMatter #HateKillings – the people who have lost their lives deserve to be remembered, and every time I listen to this song, I remember them. And my good friend Lydia who passed away from cancer recently.
And since we must go on living and fight the hate with the happy – here are 3 other songs that make me want to dance, get me through the treadmill or just live it up in general.
1. Rihanna ft. Drake – Work is the song I’m still playing over and over again although it’s gotten a ton of airplay.
2. Sigala Feat. John Newman & Nile Rodgers – Give Me Your Love is what gets played at summer picnics and barbecues.
3. Lizzo, “Good As Hell” – my feel good easy, relaxing with the girls jam.
Kim… I think we’re going to have to share playlists with you guys more often because this post was too much fun to put together. I love music- all kinds from jazz to techno and everything in between. I think it comes from being a dancer and putting steps to every kind of music out there. I’ve learned to appreciate it all. Here’s what I’ve been into lately.
1. First up is Sweet Lovin’, Sigala ft. Bryn Christopher. I turn this on first thing every morning and it wakes me up and gets me dancing in the kitchen. Plus, the music video just screams summer in the best ways. Also, you’ve heard Easy Love, right? Lovin the moves in that video. I can’t wait until I have a chance to choreograph to that song. Honestly, I can’t get enough of Sigala.
2. There’s something about summer that brings out my best dancing and also my romantic side. In the evening we sit on the patio, turn the string lights on and share a drink while listening to music. My favorite? When That Fever Takes A Hold On You, The Wind and The Wave. So dreamy. This is also a great song for my yoga practice.
3. It’s not often I get to crank my music in the car. Typically I’m listening to toddler approved music. So when I do get to drive solo, this is the song I blow the speakers out for. Olly Murs, Dance With Me Tonight. Little known fact about me- I love to swing dance. (Now, someone convince my husband to learn how too!)
4. And when it’s been a particularly rough day, I put Hold My Hand, Jess Glynne on, pick up my son and we twirl and dance in the living room. This song always makes things a million times better after I listen to it and usually we’re both laughing by the time it’s over.
What are you listening to these days?