It’s been just about exactly a year since Tanya emailed me and asked me to be the other half of Girlxoxo (and then I cried and jumped up and down and freaked her out with a giant YES!). We have had a fun and crazy ride this year figuring out how to make this co-blogging thing work. Here are some things that help us work cohesively…
1. We Keep It Simple – Our system involves Using Evernote As A Blogging Calendar . We both have access to the calendar and we add, change, move anything we need to.
2. We Agree On Our Vision – From day one we decided what we wanted from this space and how we were each going to contribute to that goal. We also agreed that things would shift and evolve naturally and we would go with the flow. We each have creative freedom in this space but it helps that our style of blogging is so similar. If we need to work out a kink or run something by each other we use the Evernote chat feature.
Here’s some thoughts on how we got started and where we went from there.
3. We Don’t Sweat It – We love this blog and have so much fun with it but at the end of the day real life comes first. We are both busy, busy, busy so if a blog post doesn’t get scheduled, we either let it go or move it down on the editorial calendar. We try not to let that happen, but we don’t sweat it when it does.
4. We Fill In Each Other’s Blanks – A lot of the posts we write here are collaboration posts where we write the post together. How does this work? Once it’s on the editorial calendar either of us is free to draft the post. We make a note in Evernote that a draft has been started. Then the other person goes in and adds their two cents. Whoever has time creates the graphic and schedules the post. We don’t talk about who’s doing what. If one of sees that something still needs to be done on a post, then we just do it.
5. Other Tools – We use our own photos, Unsplash and a few freebie graphic downloads to create blog graphics.
We’re both running Mozilla Firefox (Free) for internet and WordPress is our blogging platform. We use Filezilla FTP (free) to transfer files back and forth from the blog and Dropbox to transfer files from our phones to our computers.
We absolutely love co-blogging here at Girlxoxo together. We find we make a great team and can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for this little space of ours. Would you consider co-blogging – either having one or doing it with someone else on their blog? Why or why not?