I flew into New York late Friday night (on American Airlines) to visit my parents and watch my brother run the NY Marathon. I flew out Monday night (on Spirit Air), and for the first time ever, I didn’t over-pack. Here’s what went down.
I have a packed, ready to go Travel Kit that I keep in my carry-on bag. Actually, everyone in our family has one because it’s such a time saver not to have to hunt for toiletries, especially when flying somewhere. I took a few items out since I was going to be staying at my parents, and I wouldn’t need much. Pictured:-
- Lancome cosmetics bag (a freebie from somewhere unknown – I buy makeup maybe once a year)
- Dental Floss
- Secrets deodorant (my favorite brand)
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
- Jergen’s Glow Moisturizer
- Germ-X Hand Sanitizer (airport bathrooms … yuck!)
- Pack of Tissues
- An extra Tampon (or 20 … not pictured because so not photogenic)
Handbag or BackPack
There was going to be a lot of walking in NYC both on Saturday and Sunday while attempting to catch my brother 2x on the marathon course, so a backpack was my best bet. Plus, my brother wanted me to take some items with me so he could have them when he finished the race, so I borrowed my husband’s Osprey FlapJack Backpack. I love this pack hard because it houses my travel kit + everyday toiletries kit (from my Everyday Bag) + wallet + my electronic gear. On this trip, I took …
- Sol Republic Headphones – essential for any flight and to listen to audiobooks. I took no other types of books with me on this trip.
- Asus 14″ Laptop – sadly, on it’s last legs and has since been replaced
- KMashi External Battery Pack – I never leave home without it – and the USB cord.
And of course, I also had a carry-on suitcase. What do you pack for a 3-day weekender?
I had gym clothes (2 sets) and running sneakers, and then the usual for a crisp but not cold Fall weekend, which included a scarf and a light coat and long-sleeve pullover. The weekend involved spending Saturday with my folks in Westchester (lots of driving around in the mini-car as I called the “economy” vehicle that I rented from Hertz), going out Saturday night, walking the NYC on Sunday while spectating the marathon, and post-dinner at a nice little Cuban restaurant. Then visiting a little further upstate on Monday to spend the day with the people I used to work with and old friends.
Do you tend to under- or over-pack for trips? Or are you one of those people who always get it just right?