The Master List of Reading Challenges is a compilation of YEAR-LONG challenges designed to level up your reading year. We will be constantly updating this list through January 2022! There’s also quite a lot of reading challenges on The StoryGraph – so I won’t be listing those here. Check back every Sunday for updates – with newly added challenges at the top of the post.
The Master List of 2022 Reading Challenges
NEWLY ADDED CHALLENGES – Updated 01/01/2022
- Children’s Books Reading Challenge…for Adults. Anything you think could be found in the children’s section of a library or bookstore is applicable, as well as timeless classics that the whole family would enjoy.
- Modern Gypsy Book Bingo Reading Challenge. Go for the full house, which means you commit to reading 25 books in 2022 or pick your rows and make your own reading challenge.
- Fairytale Reading Challenge. Each month has a fairytale assigned to it, and you can choose any retelling of that fairytale to read for that month, or read the original fairytale. If you are feeling ambitious, you can read both.
- Foodies Read. Read books that feature food! It can be cozy mysteries set in a bakery, romances between rival candy makers, science fiction set in a cafeteria in outerspace, nonfiction about chefs, cookbooks, or any book where food is a major part of the story.
- Four Moon Reading Challenge. Read a book for any or all of the 40 reading prompts.
- Mythical, Mystical, Magical Reading Challenge. This reading challenge consists of 25 prompts, some with several parts, but all prompts can be mixed and matched as one pleases.
- Nonfiction Reader Challenge. Select, read and review a book from the 12 categories during the year for a total of up to 12 books.
- Out of Your Comfort Zone Challenge. The aim of this challenge is to read books that you consider to be outside of your comfort zone. Use the cute badges and buttons to proudly display your reading stats – favorites, genre fan, series champ, etc.
- Professional Book Nerds Reading Challenge. There are 11 prompts to choose from thanks to this group of staff librarians who work at OverDrive.
- #ReadQueerToo2022. Read books that feature and focus on LGTBQ+ characters and stories. There’s also a book bingo and a reading template too.
- Series Enders. Let’s knock out those pesky last books in a series.
- Turtle Recall – A Journey Through Discworld. Read books set in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld.
- Unruly Read Book Bingo. This year’s theme is Time – complete the book Bingo or any row or column.
PREVIOUSLY ADDED CHALLENGES
- The 52 Book Club 2022 Reading Challenge. The goal is to read 52 books from the 52 different categories provided – find a book that meets the criteria and check it off!
- Adult SFF Backlist Books Challenge. Read adult science fiction and / or fantasy books published before 2022.
- Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge. Fill your bowls with one book for each letter of the Alphabet
- Alphabet Soup – Author Edition Reading Challenge. The challenge is to read one book that has an author whose first name or last name starts with every letter of the alphabet.
- The Audiobook Challenge. The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios this year.
- Aussie Author Challenge. Your challenge is to read and review books written by Australian authors. Choose from three different levels: Wallaby, Wallaroo, or Kangaroo.
- Backlist Reader Challenge. Read books that have been published before 2021 AND are already on your TBR list or pile.
- Beachcomber Mystery Reading Challenge. Your goal is to become a Beachcomber by filling the set of four beach bags (25 items per bag, 100 items total) as you read mysteries.
- Beat the Backlist Challenge. The Beat the Backlist reading challenge is designed to help you tackle all the books you keep meaning to read and still haven’t.
- Beyond the Bookends 2021 Reading Challenge. This challenge features 12 categories – 1 for each month – that will inspire your reading journey for the road ahead.
- Booklist Queen’s Reading Challenge. Read a book a week with these 52 different categories to expand your reading selection.
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge. Read Harder has 24 fun and serious tasks designed to help you break out of your reading bubble and expand your worldview through books.
- Books in Translation. Read a book that’s been translated from any language into the language of your choosing. The challenge is not limited to translations to or from English.
- Book to Movie (and TV) Challenge. Read books being made into movies or tv series. Choose from the list on the site or add you’re own if it’s not there yet.
- Bookish Resolutions Challenge. Create between 5 or more resolutions related to books/book blogging/writing and check 3x this year for accountability.
- Build Your Library Reading Challenge. The 2022 theme is “We’re Going On an Adventure!”There are prompts that offer you a chance to escape into all kinds of adventures, from fantasy to historical fiction, to non-fiction, and more! Let’s go on a literary adventure in 2022!
- Calendar of Crime. Read 12 mystery books, each from of the categories in the month on the Calendar of Crime. Link up at the blog, or on social media using #CalendarOfCrime2021.
- Chunkster Reading Challenge. The books read must be 450 pages or more to be considered chunkster books.
- COYER Reading Challenges. Clean Out Your E-Reader! There are seasonal challenges and a community with 3 semester long challenges. It’s not all about reading free eBooks anymore either!
- Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge. Read any book that is from the mystery, suspense, thriller, or crime genre.
- Color Coded. Choose books where the color may either be named in the title or it may appear as the dominant color for the cover.
- Craving For Cozies. Read cozy mystery books.
- Creativity Reading Challenge. This challenge is about reading books on creativity, art, crafts, writing, film making, photography and any other topic that helps you live a more creative life.
- Cruisin’ Thru The Cozies. Read only cozy mysteries of your choice or read through the different sub-genres of cozy mysteries.
- Diversify Your Reading Challenge. This challenge features 12 genre prompts – 1 for each month. To complete the challenge, read at least one book in the genre assigned to that month.
- Diversity Reading Challenge. Read as many diverse books / books by diverse authors, as you can for this year.
- Diversity Reading Challenge. Read as many diverse books as you can, and also complete a read for the monthly theme.
- Elif the Reader 2022 Reading Challenge: The Year of Discoveries. Read books for the 20 reading prompts.
- Epistolary Reading Challenge. The challenge is to read books written in the form of letters, diaries, blogs, e-mails and such, either completely or partially written this way.
- European Reading Challenge. Ten year anniversary! Tour Europe through books. The idea is to read books by European authors or books set in European countries (no matter where the author comes from). Choose your own level of commitment to complete the challenge. There is a Jet Setter Prize for the person who visits the most countries between the covers.
- Finishing the Series. This challenge is focused on finally finishing those series that you’ve started but not yet completed.
- Gaia/ Nature Reading Challenge. Read at least 1 nature themed book to participate and you can choose the categories from the Bingo card (TBD).Georgian Reading Challenge. Read a minimum of 4 books set in the Georgian Era.
- Historical Fiction Reading Challenge. Read historical fiction books from sub-genres like Historical Romance, Historical Mystery, Historical Fantasy, Young Adult, History/Non-Fiction using the BINGO provided.
- Humor Reading Challenge. Read books that you consider funny or humorous.
- Linz The Bookworm 2021 Reading Challenge. There are different levels, and different categories in each level. There are a lot of options but this reading challenge will also help challenge you to come out of your comfort zone. Get reading!
- Literary Escapes. Read 1 book set in each of the 50 states + the District of Columbia.
- Medical Examiner’s Mystery Reading Challenge. Your goal as Medical Examiner is to issue as many Toe Tags as you can during 2022, by reading murder mysteries and documenting the cause of death of the unfortunate victim(s).
- Memoir Reading Challenge. Read a minimum of five memoirs from any of the categories listed. One book can only count for one category.
- Mental Health Reading Challenge. Read any book related to mental health – fiction or non-fiction.
- Monthly Keyword Reading Challenge. Your task is to read at least one book each month whose title includes one or more of the keywords for that month. This challenge is hosted here at Girlxoxo!
- Monthly Motif Reading Challenge. Read a book that corresponds to one of the themes or motif provided each month. This challenge is hosted here at Girlxoxo!
- Monthly Book Award Reading Challenge. Your task is to read at least 1 book each month that has WON a book award in that month (any year). This challenge is hosted here at Girlxoxo!
- Mount TBR. Knock out some of those books you OWN that have been waiting in the wings for weeks … months … even years.
- Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge. Are you feeling overwhelmed by the number of NetGalley/Edelweiss books sitting on your shelf to be read? Have you lost your 80% rating and would love to get it back? Then challenge yourself to read more NetGalley and/or Edelweiss books.
- The Nerdy Bookworm 50 Books a Year Reading Challenge. Read 50 books by picking one for each of the prompts, or complete the BINGO!
- The Nerd Daily Reading Challenge. Consisting of 52 challenges, you could potentially read a book a week from the printable prompts, or read any time throughout the year.
- Pick Your Poison. Check out the printable – 26 topics with 4 categories in each – so “Pick Your Poison”! It could be anywhere from a Baker’s Dozen – 1 category from any of the 13 topics … all the way up to a Freaky Reader – complete all the topics.
- Poetry Reading Challenge. There are 3 ways to tackle this challenge – all of which involve reading … poetry!
- Popsugar Reading Challenge. Read books that meet the 40 random fun and interesting prompts. For an extra challenge read books that meet the 10 advanced prompts.
- The Purrfect Reading Challenge. Read mysteries that have cats as main characters.
- A RAD Reading Challenge. Choose to read from any or all of the nine categories in the printable.
- Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks. The goal is to read 52 books this year. How you get there is up to you, but there are also 4 challenges along the way – a 52 Books Bingo, A to Z and Z to A Word of the Week to stir your creativity, Books about Books Bookology for the author of the month reading and spelling challenge and Crime Spree which will take us around the world, following in the footsteps of detectives of all ages.
- Read Around the World: 2022 Travel Reading Challenge. 12 prompts for 12 months that will allow you to read your way across seven continents and multiple genres.
- Reading by the Numbers. Log all your books. No pre-set challenge levels. You decide your goal for the year and then just keep track of the books you read.
- Romance Books Reading Challenge. Read a book for the category of the month.
- She Reads Romance Books Reading Challenge. The goal with this reading challenge is to read ONE romance book each month, for a total of 12 romance books for the year. The theme for the reading challenge will focus on a different romance book category or trope each month.
- Six Shooter Mystery Challenge. Your goal is to shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author).
- Southern Literature Reading Challenge. Read books by Southern authors set largely in the South (US). #2021southernlit
- Spacetime Reading Challenge. Read fiction books set in space or time.
- Stacked Reviews 2021 Reading Challenge. Choose a book for each of the 20 reading challenge prompts.
- Tackle My TBR Reading Challenge. The goal is to read at least ONE book from your TBR every month. It can be an ARC, ebook, audiobook or print – your choice. Any reading is good reading!
- TBR Challenge 2022. Pull out long neglected books from your “to be read” list, following the theme of the month – and read. Share with #TBRChallenge
- TBR 22 in ’22. The goal is to read 22 books from your TBR shelves in 2022.
- This or That. This reading challenge has 2 challenges a month equaling to 24 challenges AND you only have to choose one or the other – although you can also do both.
- Unabridged Reading Challenge. Read at least one book for each of the 10 reading prompts.
- The Uncorked Reading Challenge. There are 12 categories, one for each month, with books to inspire travel and diverse, international reads. Check in on the Facebook Group, Uncorked Readers and on social media using the hashtag #UncorkedReading2022.
- Victorian Reading Challenge. Read a minimum of four books form the Victorian era.
- Vintage Scategories: Vintage Mystery Challenge. Your mission will be to fulfill at least eight of the categories in a single vintage era and, as always, you are welcome to complete all categories and both eras if you would like.
- Virtual Mount TBR Reading Challenge. This challenge is for all those folks with mile-long “wish-list” of TBRs who would like a chance to climb as well – similar to the Mount TBR Challenge.
- Wandering Reader Challenge. This challenge will be all about reading and travel. Read at least one book for each of the 24 topics (related to travel), and check in on Instagram #wrchallenge2022.
- What An Animal Reading Challenge. Read books where animals play a major role in the book or if a main character is (or turns into) an animal.
- What’s in a Name Reading Challenge. Read a book for each of the 6 categories listed.
- While I Was Reading Reading Challenge. Read at least one book for each of the 12 reading prompts.
- World War II Challenge. Read any genres (fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, etc) and in any formats (audio, physical, e-books, etc), as long as the main topic of the book is about WWII.
- World War II Challenge. Read, Watch, Listen, Share any WWII related media.
2021 CHALLENGES NOT PUBLISHED FOR 2022 YET
+ A to Z Reading Challenge. A year-long reading challenges that encourages readers to choose a book starting with each letter of the alphabet. Along the way, we’ll have quarterly read-a-thons and mini challenges that you can use to replace any of the more difficult letters. If that isn’t enough, try out our Monopoly-style game for book lovers!
+ Aussies Rule Challenge. The theme for this challenge is “Hell no anglo” with a specific focus on First Nations Aussies authors and Aussie authors of Colour. Read at least one book for each prompt.
+ Back to the Classics. A year-long challenge in which participants are encouraged to finally read the classics they’ve always meant to read — or just recently discovered – in the categories provided.
+ Backpacking Bookworm’s 2021 Reading Challenge. Read a book each month for the theme.
+ Beachcomber Mystery Reading Challenge. Become a Beachcomber by filling up four beach bags as you read mysteries!
+ Blogger’s Bookshelf 2021 Book Club Reading Challenge. Read books for the 24 prompts – try and tick off all 24, mix and match your favorite 12 for a monthly prompt, use them to create your own bingo sheets, or just dip in and out whenever you wish; there are no rules here!
+ Bob on Books 2021 Reading Challenge. Stretch your reading and get out of your usual reading with this reading challenge as you complete books for each of the 12 prompts.
+ Book Voyage: Read Around the World. Get ready to read for a certain region of the World each month from the provided book list.
+ Books and Tea 2021 Reading Challenge. There are 12 prompts, meaning if you want to just try and tick off one prompt each month, you can – or you can complete them all faster and in a different order if you prefer.
+ Books Are Our Superpower Reading Challenge. The challenge is to read 1 book a week, every week, in 2021. To keep it exciting, each month has a theme, and the list covers fiction and non-fiction books so there is something for everyone. Everything has been planned out for you so the only thing you need to do is get the books.
+ British Crime Classics Challenge. Read Mystery Classics written in or before 1965 and written by British Author(s). You can choose any book(s) or follow along with the themes provided.
+ Build Your Library Reading Challenge. This year, there are 40 reading prompts, and the focus is on “hygge” – We all could use a little comfort right now, and what more comfort is there than a really great book?!
+ The Clock Reading Challenge. The goal is to read 12 books, each with a number from 1 to 12 in the title.
+ Decades Reading Challenge. Challenge yourself to reading books set in each decade from the 1910s through today!
+ Dystopia Reading Challenge. Read and review dystopian books.
+ The Free Black Women’s Library Reading Challenge/2021. The goal is to read 25 books by Black women or Black non-binary authors this year. There are reading challenge prompts, and recommendations for each month so you can read with the book club.
+ Historical Romance Book Bingo. Have fun reading historical romance novels and reach a bingo.
+ Kindle Unlimited. Read any book that you read using your KindleUnlimited subscription.
+ Library Love. The goal is to read at least 12 books from the library.
+ The Literary Life 19 in 21 Reading Challenge. Join the Literary Life Podcast community reading 19 books for the prompts on the printable. And there’s a kids challenge as well.
+ Modern Gypsy 2021 Book Bingo. Choose your bingo journey + commit to a monthly check-in.
+ Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge. Choose between different checklists: Reading for Growth and Reading for Fun.
+ The New Release Reading Challenge. Challenge yourself to read new books!
+ Newbery Reading Challenge. Challenge yourself to read more Newbery and Caldecott Award Winning books.
+ New (to You) Narrator Reading Challenge. Listen to audiobooks read by narrators who are new to you. They do not have to be narrators who are new to the industry, they just have to be readers you personally haven’t checked out before.
+ NJM Reading Challenge. There are 25 items to tick off by year’s end, and with some books likely to satisfy more than one category, it shouldn’t be too difficult for most readers to accomplish.
+ Pretty Mess Reading Challenge. There are 26 different categories to expand your reading selection. Whether you read 6 books a year or 52, I want to encourage you to step outside of your normal genre and try something new.
+ Read Around the World. Read your way around each of the 7 continents. Pick the same coutnries as the challenge host, or do it all on your own – it’s up to you.
+ Read Native 2021. Read about Native Americans using the themes provided on the printable.
+ The 2021 SFF Badge Collection. Earn badges by reading the speculative fiction books represented by each badge.
+ Tyger Gal Reads 2021 Reading Challenge. Read books for the 16 prompts.
+ The Unread Shelf Project. Read the books you own and have fun doing it by reading for a monthly theme.
+ World Reading Challenge. Read the books on this year’s list which covers 45 titles to round out our mission of reading the world.