Welcome back to the planner series where I share how I’m getting myself together and organized for the month or months ahead. The last one I did was the July #PlanWithMe and since we’re mid-month in August – a bit too late for a #planwithme, I’m going to share an update on the goals I shared at the beginning of the year.
Update on Yearly Goals
At the beginning of the year, I did a Functional #PlanWithMe – 2022 Goal Setting in which I recapped the previous year, set my word of the year and goals for 2022. Life has changed a lot since then with moving to a new state, which introduced some challenges and shifting priorities.
WORD OF THE YEAR – PREPARATION
Normally I forget my WOD in a few weeks, but this year I was very intentional in trying to keep it at the forefront of my mind. It didn’t hurt that I had a LOT of ways in my life that just don’t work as well without PREPARATION. It worked really well as a theme for this year and as much as I still need to work on “always” being prepared – I’m doing a better job of it and Giving myself a “B-” grade for this.
Examples of the ways I’ve had to incorporated it throughout the year …
- Moving – LOTS of preparation for this. We didn’t start preparing early enough but got it done. Coincidentally, we’re probably going to move again this year as we’ve now started to look at buying a house again. *SIGH*
- Travel – I travel a few times a month for work and preparation means making sure everything is sorted to work remotely, gathering all my travel gear together the day before and making sure everything is charged and ready.
- Workouts – running & cycling. Preparation means not forgetting things and having the right gear, clothes washed and ready, heart rate monitor, headband, towel/rag, nutrition for long runs and rides, sunglasses, drinking enough water / electrolytes before, during and after, KT tape, charged devices (Garmin and headphones).
- Self – hair care, skin care (Florida & the sweat have not been kind to me), morning routine, night time routine.
- Passion projects (this blog) – writing blog posts in advance, taking pictures.
I’m going to keep on with the theme of Preparation for the rest of the year.
I set 4 goals for myself this year.
1. Maintain the exercise consistency from 2021. A solid B. I struggled for the first half of the year incorporating cycling (I was mostly running) and had lower milage in everything than last year. But back then, I was working from home mostly, traveling much less and not moving to a new state. So I got a coach in July to help me put everything together – running, cycling and weights. Plus, now I have a regular Saturday group ride (where I’m the slowest by far – but I love the struggle). I’m still not where I’d like to be, but I’m way more active and living life outside in Florida than I was in Illinois – so I’m pretty happy with this overall.
2. Better nutrition. A big fat “F”. I still eat like shit – especially moving to a beach / vacation community where we go out multiple times a week! So I’m going to chunk this up into monthly goals to improve a small thing each month-ish. One positive things is that I’m taking my vitamins everyday thanks to using this Daily Pill Organizer. I chose that one because it can fit gummy vitamins (smaller ones can’t) and I take it with when I travel.
Spanish – this has been a goal for the last few years and I haven’t done much to get it going – learn something new every month. Just no longer a priority. My learning for this year is mainly related to helping me improve on my fitness and nutrition journey – so learning more about myself really.
4. Build better relationships. “C”. I thought about removing this, but as I’m such an introvert and I’m in a new town where I now abslutely no one, I know it’s more important than ever to work at maintaining relationships (old and new). I just need to get out of my head more – but I have been better than last year … but could be so much better.
One more month left for Summer and although some people are looking ahead to Fall – not me! I’m keeping a hold of every last hot-ass, bug filled summer day.
- Summer Fun (G)uide for Adults. Work travel has been killing my mojo but I’m loving having a list of things that I’m working through to keep me active. I won’t get everything crossed off – and that’s not the point anyway – but I’ve done … 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 16, 22, 25, 28, 29, 32, 37, 38.
- My #20BooksofSummer (2022) Reading List. Read 10 books so far from the list – and a few others not on it.
It’s been fun having seasonal goals and without the expectation to do everything!
How has your summer been so far? Have you checked inon your yearly goals – if you set them? I liked having a theme to work on for the year, but I think next year I’m switching to shorter goals and not doing goals for the full year.