How was your month in books? Which book was your favorite? Did you participate in any reading events? Work on any of your reading challenges? Here’s a look at what we’ve read this month.
August is always crazy with transitions between summer and the school year. I taught a couple sections of summer courses at the university so I only ended up with a week to grade finals, submit grades, and set up my Fall courses. I also had to get my kids ready to go back to school and myself ready to go back to teaching dance. Phew! It always amazes me that my busiest months still seem to be good for reading. I guess I need that down time with a book to unwind every night!
Best book of August for me was The Book of Cold Cases, Simone St. James. This author never disappoints for me. I know some people say the paranormal aspect of her books is unnecessary but it’s something I really love about her writing.
Everything else I read in August was really solid too and I honestly enjoyed and would recommend them all…
- Our Crooked Hearts, Melissa Albert ☆☆☆☆
- Small Spaces, Katherine Arden ☆☆☆☆
- Spells for Forgetting, Adrienne Young ☆☆☆☆
- The Kaiju Preservation Society, John Scalzi ☆☆☆
- House of Hollow, Krystal Sutherland ☆☆☆☆
- Professional Troublemaker: The Fear-Fighter Manual, Luvvie Ajayi Jones ☆☆☆☆
This month was the last of the #20BooksofSummer reading challenge (here’s My #20BooksofSummer (2022) Reading List). I ended up with mostly so-so reads – no 5 stars – and my favorite was The Library of the Dead, T.L. Huchu.
I loved the hustle and spirit of the main character Ropa. Plus the plot was interesting – sign me up for a snarky ghost-talker!
When a child goes missing in Edinburgh’s darkest streets, young Ropa investigates. She’ll need to call on Zimbabwean magic as well as her Scottish pragmatism to hunt down clues. But as shadows lengthen, will the hunter become the hunted? When ghosts talk, she will listen.
Unffortunately, I didn’t read any books for the 3 reading challenges that we host – but I’ll get to them eventually. The other books I read in August were …
- Sundial, Catriona Ward ☆☆☆
- And What Can We Offer You Tonight, Premee Mohamed ☆☆
- Akata Witch, Nnedi Okorafor ☆☆☆☆
- Akata Woman, Nnedi Okorafor ☆ – maybe no fault of the book, but I decided to DNF this one. I probably should have taken a break between reading books 2 and 3 because I just couldn’t get into staying immersed in this World and following along with Sunny.
I ended with reading 15 books for the #20BooksofSummer reading challenge – although not all of them were on my original 20BooksofSummer (2022) Reading List. And I’ll probably continue through the official end of summer to see if I can get to them all! Usually I don’t read a lot in the summer, so I’m pretty pleased with this.
How was your month in books?